Not your grandma’s icebox cake.
- 1 cups mascarpone cheese
- .75 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2.5 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 16 graham crackers
- 1.5 cups blueberry sauce (see recipe here)
- .33 cups blueberries
- 1 lemon
- Line a 9x5" loaf pan with a plastic wrap, leaving overhang on all sides.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice together until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- On low speed, slowly add chilled heavy cream to mixture. Once added, increase to medium speed and beat until medium peaks form. Set aside 1/3 of the mixture into a small bowl, cover with plastic and chill. Use remaining 2/3 for the next steps of assembly.
- Place a single layer of graham crackers on the bottom of the lined loaf pan, break as needed to fit. Evenly spread a quarter of the cream over the graham crackers. Top cream with ½ cup of blueberry sauce and evenly spread. Evenly spread another 1/3 of remaining cream over blueberry sauce and top with a single layer of graham crackers. Repeat layers again and evenly spread ½ of remaining cream over graham cracker and top with ½ cup of blueberry sauce. Finish with the remaining cream and one last layer of graham cracker.
- Fold excess plastic wrap tightly over the cake.
- Freeze overnight, or at least 6 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining ½ cup of blueberry sauce.
- Uncover cake and invert onto a platter. Peel off and discard plastic.
- Spread the tops and sides of cake with reserved bowl of mascarpone cream mixture. If it looks loose, whip mixture to stiffen. Chill in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Mix blueberries with reserved ½ cup of blueberry sauce and spoon to the top of the cake. Peel zest from lemon and slice into fine strips. Sprinkle over blueberry topping.
- Slice and serve.