Chef Billy Parisi is teaching us how to master homemade pasta, like this bright summery Tomato Noodle Pasta.
Making Tomato Noodle Pasta is a great way to add bright color to your plate and it’s incredibly easy. Tomato paste can be a bit flavorless, however, in which case feel free to toss in a few extra robust flavors, such as a puree of sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil and one egg.
Tomato Noodle Pasta with Fresh Arugula, Ricotta Cheese, Lemon and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1.75 cups flour, sifted
- .5 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- water as needed
- 1 cups baby arugula leaves
- .5 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- zest of 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp ground pepper
- Add the flour and salt to a clean cutting board and using your hands make a well by pushing the flour with the backside of your hand from the inside out.
- Next, add the eggs and tomato paste to the center of the well and whisk them with a fork until combined.
- Gradually add the flour to the center of the well with the fork while continuing to whisk until it is combined. Optional: Use a bench knife to scrape the cutting board to make sure and get all of the flour and eggs.
- With your hands, knead the dough for 5 to 7 minutes. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Next, divide the dough into 3 chunks and dust each with flour on both sides. Gently roll the dough to slightly flatten them so they will be able to fit into the Marcato pasta roller.
- Set the roller to 0 and using the crank feed the dough through it. Dust with flour and fold the outer 1/3’s of the dough in and run through the roller again. Dust again but do not fold.
- Change the roller setting to 6 and again feed the flattened dough through. Note: it will become a long flat pasta dough so be sure to have enough room to set it on a clean dusted surface.
- Cut the dough into 3 parts using a knife.
- Add the linguine attachment and feed each cut rolled out dough 1 at a time until all 3 have been made into linguine pasta.
- Hang the pasta on a drying rack for 30 to 45 minutes or until it has slightly dried out.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water for 3 to 4 minutes or until al dente, or slightly crunchy.
- Immediately serve the pasta with the arugula, ricotta cheese, lemon zest, olive oil and ground pepper.
- Mix together before eating.