I love to serve freshly baked buns for breakfast! They are special on the weekend or on holidays when I have more time to bake for my family.
This recipe does take some time to proof and you have to stretch and fold it a few times while proofing, but the end result is oh-so-delicious breakfast buns!
These soft white buns are perfect for breakfast! I love them with an egg which is boiled for 8 minutes.
- 11 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 ¼ cups whole milk
- 1 Tbsp runny honey
- 3 tsp dried active yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ - ½ cup heavy cream
- Put the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. I use an Ankarsrum Original, a mixer which is produced in Sweden and made to last a lifetime.
- Heat the milk in the microwave until it reaches about 77 degrees F. Stir in the honey and yeast and set aside for a few minutes.
- Add the eggs and egg yolk to the yeast mixture. Mix well and pour into the mixing bowl with the flour.
- Mix until all of the ingredients come together and knead for about 10 minutes.
- I use a dough scraper to transfer the dough into a greased bowl.
- Cover with a clean dish towel and leave to rise for 45 minutes.
- Repeat the folding and proofing process until the dough has risen for at least 2-3 hours.
- Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into 3 pieces. Divide each of them into 8 equally sized pieces to make a total of 24. Shape them into round balls, placing them onto a lined baking tray as you go.
- Cover with clean dish towels and leave to proof for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush the puffy buns with the cream and bake on the middle rack for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the rolls from the oven. Allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.