The first time I ever had grits, I was married with 4 children. We visited a tiny diner, on a road trip from West Coast to Florida. And figured, while we were passing through the South, we might as well give some proper comfort food a try.
The waitress took our orders. Chicken and waffles, shrimp and grits, collard greens and a big slab of cornbread. They delivered them on giant plates, piled three stories high with more food than our family could eat in a week. It was heaven.
We started with the chicken and waffles. Then forked straight into the grits. Salty and cheddary and creamy, they were absolutely perfection. How had I made it my whole life without this happy eat?
When I got home, I was determined to make grits. But the kids didn’t like the texture, so I wondered if I could swap in another option. Cue the oatmeal.
Could a basic pot of oatmeal be turned into a savory base for the same creamy, cheddary goodness? The answer, quite happily, is yes.
Over the years, savory oatmeals have become more and more popular. And while there are certainly a million and one ways to make an incredible bowl of savory oatmeal, this one is with sharp cheddar and a smidge of garlic. The bowls are perfect topped with buttery shrimp, or a fried egg, or go big and top yours with all of the breakfast favorites–sausage, egg, avocado, tomato, bacon. If it tastes good with cheese, it goes great atop this bowl.
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk or almond milk
- .75 cups sharp cheddar
- .5 tsp garlic puree
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Add 1 cup of water to inside electric pressure cooker, add steamer rack.
- Place a large microwave-safe bowl inside pressure cooker. To bowl, add oats, 1 cup water, milk, cheddar, garlic puree, flaxseed, salt and pepper.
- Seal valve, set to manual High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- Allow to release naturally for 5-7 minutes. Turn vent before opening pressure cooker.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with sausage, bacon, baked beans, an egg cooked sunny-side up, avocado and cherry tomatoes.