Every Friday is Pizza Night in our family. To keep the tradition fresh week after week, we’re always trying new things: personal pizzas, sheet pan pizza, pizza on the grill and now, pizza fondue! This deconstructed, dippable meal was so much fun to put together and an awesome way to get the kids to try a few new veggies.
Admittedly, they were a bit dubious when they first sat down to a gigantic platter of raw pizza toppings. But as soon as they noticed the cheese-stuffed breadsticks they were ready to take the plunge (pun intended).
The breadsticks were super easy to make using store bought pizza dough and string cheese. I brushed them with garlic butter right before baking for extra flavor and they crisped up beautifully while staying oh-so-gooey in the middle.
They were the perfect match to the zingy-and-slightly-cheesy pizza dipping sauces. Even better, once the kids had their fill of breadsticks, they moved right on to the veggies. They were actually excited to try new combinations – my daughter eventually declared that green peppers are her new favorite pizza topping.
Of course, family fondue night wouldn’t be complete without dessert. Nutella Fondue served with strawberries and pound cake was the perfect end to the night.
Nutella Fondue is insanely delicious and almost dangerously easy to make. Just mix together warm heavy cream and Nutella and you’ve got dessert.
- 2 15-ounce jars store bought pizza sauce
- .5 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- .5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- .5 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Dippers: Cheese-Stuffed Breadsticks (recipe below), mushrooms, chunks of green pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes, pitted black olives, fresh mozzarella cheese balls, fresh basil, slices of pepperoni, chunks of cooked Italian sausages, etc.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine pizza sauce, seasoning and both cheeses. Allow mixture to come to a boil and immediately turn down heat to low. Allow sauce to simmer, stirring occasionally until cheese is melted.
- Transfer mixture to a fondue pot and place over heat source to keep warm for serving.
- Serve with dippers.
- 1 ball store-bought pizza dough, at room temperature
- 8 full fat mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp freshly minced parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine butter and garlic and set aside.
- Divide pizza dough into 8 equal portions. Using your hands or a rolling pin, stretch each piece of dough and wrap around a string cheese stick. Pinch dough together to secure and place seam-side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining piece of dough and cheese sticks.
- Brush each breadstick generously with butter mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until breadsticks are golden brown. Serve warm with pizza fondue.
- .5 cups heavy whipping cream
- .5 cups Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
- Dippers: Strawberries, cubed pound cake, marshmallows
- Heat heavy cream in a microwave safe container until boiling (about 1 minute).
- Place Nutella in a medium bowl. Pour hot cream over Nutella and whisk until the Nutella melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture into fondue pot and place over heat surface. Serve with dippers.