I started drinking turmeric a few months ago after I read about all the insane health benefits of this magical ancient spice. This sassy plant is a member of the ginger family and holds fast to its claim of being an anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, powerful antioxidant, and immunity booster.
Rumor has it, turmeric can lower your risk or heart disease and cancer, reduces cholesterol, helps with arthritis pain and has been proven to help fight depression. Not bad for one ingredient, huh?
Personally, I like to take my turmeric in the form of shots because it is easier to work in to my routine and gives me an excuse to use my cute Smeg juicer. Plus, when they run from $5-$8 at your local health store or juice bar, making them becomes a way more affordable (and fun!) option.
- 1.5 cups Coconut water
- 2 Inch knob fresh turmeric (or a few tablespoon scoops of the dried spice)
- 1 Inch fresh ginger root (2 if you're a ginger fan)
- .5 Lemon
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 Pinch of sea salt
- 1. Peel turmeric and ginger.
- 2. Cut your lemon in half and juice it (I love using my Smeg because it’s crazy easy and adorable)
- 3. Place all ingredients in a Vitamix (or another high speed blender) and blend until smooth (45 seconds or so)
- 4. Serve as a shot and store any extra in an airtight container for 2-3 days.