Secret Monkey Bread with Pecans + Caramel
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp (6g/1/4 oz) active dried yeast
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Cream cheese (for stuffing)
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Cinnamon Sugar
- ½ cup of Sugar
- 2 tbsp ground Cinnamon
For the dough:
- Mix the flour, yeast, sugar and salt together in a standing mixer fitted with dough hook.
- In a measuring jug, heat together the milk, water, butter and heat until lukewarm, and the butter is melted.
- Turn the machine on low and slowly add the milk mixture. Mix for 2 minutes to wake up the yeast.
- Increase the speed to medium and mix until the dough is shiny and smooth, 6-8 minutes. The dough is supposed to be saggy and on the wet side.
- Rub a large bowl with vegetable oil (or any flavorless oil). Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat lightly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise until doubled, 1 ½ -2 hours.
Make the caramel:
- By combining the ingredients in a pot and heating until the sugar dissolves and the butter melts. set aside to cool.
To form the bread:
- Gently remove the dough from the bowl and knead lightly on a floured surface knocking out the air.
- Using a bench scraper or knife, cut the dough into big and small pieces, a nice mix.
- For the secret ingredient: Smear some cream cheese in the middle of some dough pieces (do as many as you want)
- Wrap the dough around the cream cheese sealing it in a ball. Pinch to secure closed.
- In a large bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon and toss in your dough pieces covering each piece generously.
- In a Bundt pan, drizzle in a layer of the caramel sauce and ⅓ of the pecans.
- Layer in ½ of the dough pieces.
- Repeat the second layer by scatter on another ⅓ of the pecans and go another round with the caramel sauce.
- Top off with the remaining dough pieces, pecans and the last of the caramel sauce.
- Cover the Bundt pan tightly with plastic wrap and let the monkey bread rise for 25-30 minutes or until puffy and they have risen 1-2 inches from the top of the pan.
- If making the day before, refrigerate the bread once assembled, and then bake the next day.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Unwrap the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is beautifully brown and caramel begins to bubble around edges.
- Cool the monkey bread in the pan for 5 minutes (any longer and the bread will be too sticky and hard to remove!), then turn out on a platter or large plate and allow to cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Enjoy straight away!