Whether you’re trying to eat more plant-based, or just looking for a fun dish for Taco Tuesday, these tempeh tacos are quick, simple and super tasty. Like, so tasty, you may never want to go back to traditional tacos again.
Located in the refrigerated section of most health food stores, tempeh is a fermented soybean product. The texture of cooked bulgar, with a little bit of chew and mild flavor, you can find everything from tempeh bacon to packs of flavored tempeh. It’s create for slicing on sandwiches, or serving alongside breakfast. Or if you’re in need of some dinner inspiration, crumble it into a skillet and cook it into tacos. Boom! Tasty dinner in 20 minutes or less.
Tempeh makes a great alternative to taco meat. It’s hearty and the texture cooks up similar to ground beef. Add spices, and it soaks the flavors up willingly.
Though you can prep a superquick back of tacos with basic taco seasoning, we’ve boosted our version here with a bit of garlic puree and lime juice. It adds just enough extra kick to make you feel like you’ve ordered in tacos from a fancy restaurant. Elevated flavor, super simple ingredients. What more could a dinner maker ask for?
Top as you please, but if you can find fire-roasted corn (ours was in the freezer section at the local health food store), you’ve got to top this salty tempeh with sweet and tangy corn salsa. The flavor pairing here is so good, you’ll down taco after taco. The recipe may say “serves 2-4” but it’s okay if you find it only serves one. And then finds you standing over the stove making more.
Yes, these tacos are that good. Even meat eaters will agree, these tacos deserve a place at the dinner table on the regular.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz tempeh
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1 packet organic taco seasoning
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 cups fire-roasted corn (fresh or frozen)
- .25 purple onion, finely diced
- .5 cups chopped cilantro
- .25 cups diced radish
- 1 1” piece of jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Corn tortillas (grilled or baked until warm)
- Toppings as desired (tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, etc.)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Crumble tempeh. Add garlic and seasoning. Cook until skillet begins to sizzle. Add lime juice. Cook until juice cooks down.
- In a large bowl, mix together corn, onion, cilantro, radish, jalapeno, vinegar and honey. Toss together, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve tempeh with corn salsa. Top with additional desired toppings. Serve and enjoy!
Tried This Recipe?
We love seeing how our recipes come together in your own kitchen. Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram #theINSPIREDhome.