A chilly morning deserves a hearty breakfast. But you deserve a healthy breakfast. What’s a hungry body to do? Whip up this hearty AND healthy breakfast bowl. That’s what!
Filled with all the good-for-you stuff: kale, chickpeas, quinoa, purple cabbage and tangy radish, this breakfast dish is a great way to get your greens. But it’s also got an insanely lickable tahini-lemon dressing and is topped with a fried egg. So the sweet part of you can meet the sassy part with you, and peacefully share a breakfast table in style.
For this dish, feel free to upgrade or swap flavors, as desired. If you’re paleo, swap the potatoes for sweet potatoes, and enjoy cauliflower rice instead of quinoa. Vegan eaters will want to nix the egg, of course. But switch in a bit of fried tempeh, and all your plant-loving innards will glow with peace and joy.
And speaking of peace and joy: give yourself a morning full of both by prepping most of this meal ahead of time. The potatoes and chickpeas can be cooked the night before. So when you wake, all that’s left is coffee and compiling the ready-to-go ingredients.
Of course, on a lazy Saturday, we wouldn’t expect you to have spent Friday night standing over the stovetop. So slip into your softest socks and tiptoe into the kitchen for a low-key morning of breakfast prep. Everything here is easy enough to whip together in 30 minutes. So you’ll have just enough time to catch up on your article reading, or scroll through Pinterest or IG.
And if that doesn’t sound like a blissful morning, then try it all again Sunday and call us when you come out the other side. Guaranteed, you’ll be glowing with health, happiness and a happy belly.
- 10 mini red potatoes
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 clove fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cups cooked quinoa
- .67 cups shredded purple cabbage
- .5 cups roasted beets
- 1 radish or watermelon radish, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Place potatoes and chickpeas on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic, drizzle with olive oil, season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes, or just until potatoes are tender. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- While potatoes and beans are roasting, mix together tahini, maple syrup and lemon juice.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp of this lemon-tahini mixture over kale and massage until tender, about 1-2 minutes.
- In two large pasta bowls, layer kale, quinoa, chickpeas and potatoes, cabbage, beets and radish.
- Fry eggs in a skillet. Serve over bowl. Drizzle with remaining tahini-maple-lemon mixture. Top with avocado. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- NOTE: For a meat-lover's option, serve with sliced chicken sausage.