Steak au Poivre with Cognac Cream Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 14-ounce New York Strip Steaks or 2 10-ounce filet mignons
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of cognac
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Season the steaks on both sides with Kosher salt and a generous amount of fresh cracked peppercorns.
- Next, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan on high heat and add in the steaks and cook.
- After 1 to 2 minutes of cooking add in the butter to help brown and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Turn the steaks over and baste with the butter in the pan. Cook the steak on all sides until the desired internal temperature is achieved.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and deglaze the pan with cognac and then add in the heavy whipping cream and cook on medium heat until it becomes very thick, think Alfredo sauce.
- Season the sauce with salt and pour it over the cooked steaks.