Spring Sweet Onion Soup with Gruyere Cheese Baguette
1 gallon of soup
- 5 peeled and sliced sweet onions
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 cup of dry red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 cups of good beef stock
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
- 1 thinly sliced baguette
- 2 cups of shredded gruyere cheese
- Sliced chives for garnish
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large rondeau on medium heat add in the butter until melted and then add in the onions and caramelize. Note: this may take up to 1 hour.
- Half way through the cooking process add in the garlic and sugar and stir in and cook until the onions are golden brown.
- Deglaze the onions with red wine and cook until the amount of liquid is reduced by ½.
- Next, add in the bay leaf and beef stock and cook over high heat for 30 minutes.
- Finish the soup with fresh chopped thyme and salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Pour some of the soup into a soup crock and top off with slices of baguette and gruyere cheese, and cook under the broiler on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese is browned.
- Garnish with chives and serve hot.