The first time I ever had grits, I was married with 4 children. We visited a tiny diner, on a road trip from West Coast to Florida. And figured, while we were passing through the South, we might as well give some proper comfort food a try.
The waitress took our orders. Chicken and waffles, shrimp and grits, collard greens and a big slab of cornbread. They delivered them on giant plates, piled three stories high with more food than our family could eat in a week. It was heaven.
We started with the chicken and waffles. Then forked straight into the grits. Salty and cheddary and creamy, they were absolutely perfection. How had I made it my whole life without this happy eat?
When I got home, I was determined to make grits. But the kids didn’t like the texture, so I wondered if I could swap in another option. Cue the oatmeal.
Could a basic pot of oatmeal be turned into a savory base for the same creamy, cheddary goodness? The answer, quite happily, is yes.
Over the years, savory oatmeals have become more and more popular. And while there are certainly a million and one ways to make an incredible bowl of savory oatmeal, this one is with sharp cheddar and a smidge of garlic. The bowls are perfect topped with buttery shrimp, or a fried egg, or go big and top yours with all of the breakfast favorites–sausage, egg, avocado, tomato, bacon. If it tastes good with cheese, it goes great atop this bowl.
Savory Cheddar Oatmeal Bowls
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk or almond milk
- .75 cups sharp cheddar
- .5 tsp garlic puree
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Add 1 cup of water to inside electric pressure cooker, add steamer rack.
- Place a large microwave-safe bowl inside pressure cooker. To bowl, add oats, 1 cup water, milk, cheddar, garlic puree, flaxseed, salt and pepper.
- Seal valve, set to manual High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- Allow to release naturally for 5-7 minutes. Turn vent before opening pressure cooker.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with sausage, bacon, baked beans, an egg cooked sunny-side up, avocado and cherry tomatoes.