Mojo Skirt Steak Fajitas with Homemade Corn Tortillas Recipe
For the Mojo Skirt Steak:
- 2 cups of orange juice
- ½ yellow onion
- 7 garlic cloves
- ½ cup of cilantro leaves
- 1 seeded jalapeño
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 pounds of skirt steak
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- garnishes: avocado slices, lime wedges and additional cilantro leaves
For the Peppers:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ sliced yellow onion
- 1 seeded and sliced red bell pepper
- 1 seeded and sliced green bell pepper
For the Corn Tortillas:
- 2 cups of Masa flour
- 1 ¼ cups of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- For the Mojo: Blend together the orange juice, onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeño, olive oil and salt until smooth.
- Poor the mojo marinade into a pan and submerge the steak in it and place in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.
- Once the steak is done marinating, sear them in a very hot sauté pan on high heat in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned on the outside and a medium-rare internal temperature is achieved.
- Rest the steak on a cutting board for 3 to 5 minutes before slicing against the grain and on a bias.
- For the Peppers: Sauté the peppers in a very hot sauté pan on high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For the Corn Tortillas: Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and kneed with your hands for 2 to 3 minutes and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Next, form golf ball sized dough balls and press in a tortilla press in between 2 plastic sheets cut from 1 plastic zipper bag.
- Once all of the dough has been pressed cook them in a saute pan on medium high heat for 1 to 2minutes on each side. They should be lightly browned and dried out around the edges.
- To Plate: Place the sliced skirt steak on the cooked corn tortilla and add on the roasted peppers and onions, avocado slices, lime wedges and cilantro leaves.