Nothing is better to add to your arsenal of recipes than a really good easy weeknight chicken recipe. Let’s be honest, fancy recipes are great but what we all really need are more staple recipes that we can whip up without thinking.
With 3 kids under 6 now including an 8-week-old, my brain cells are fleeting and everything I cook has to be easy, fast but also delicious to woo those kids over. This coconut curry chicken fit the bill perfectly! The curry flavor is mild enough that they didn’t fuss over the heat at all (though you could totally crank it up if you love a good spicy curry).
Start off with getting your chicken nice and crispy in a good cast iron pan. I am loving this Sabatier Cast Iron Grill Pan I love that it has grill ridges on the bottom to help sear things but it’s also nice and deep so you can simmer in it easily as well. The lid that comes with it is made out of glass too which is a lovely addition so that you can easily monitor dishes in it too!
After you sear the chicken, add in the curry powder, coconut milk, garlic, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and chicken stock to the pan.
It goes into the oven to cook while you busy yourself around the house (I can’t be the only one who has to catch up on dishes while dinner cooks right?!). I really love this recipe because you can keep the oven hot and cook it fast, or turn the oven down and let it cook slower if you want to draw it out a bit more to get more accomplished.
Remove your herbs and thicken up your sauce a bit when it comes out and walah! A perfect easy dinner that everyone will love!
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cups full fat coconut milk
- 10 cloves garlic, whole with skin removed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful of cilantro
- juice from ½ a large lemon or 1 small lemon
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Serve with: cilantro, lemon slices and rice.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. In an oven safe pan sear the chicken thighs in olive oil until nicely browned.
- Add curry powder, coconut milk, garlic, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, chicken stock, and salt and pepper to pan. Bring to boil.
- Place in oven and cook for 25-30 minutes. Or for up to an hour in a 300 degree oven if you prefer.
- Remove cinnamon stick, parsley and bay leaves from pan. Remove chicken to plate.
- Squeeze lemon juice into cup and add a splash of chicken stock to it (about 2 tablespoons). Add cornstarch and whisk quickly to incorporate so it does not form lumps.
- Whisk cornstarch slurry into sauce. Boil sauce for 1-2 minutes until nicely thickened. Season to taste.
- Return chicken to pan and serve with cilantro, lemon slices and rice.