If you come to Chicago on vacation, you will inevitably find yourself at Portillos, a Chicago staple. It’s known for its Italian beef and Chicago style hot dogs, but one of the hidden gems is the chopped salad. WHOA is it good!
It’s loaded with vegetables, noodles and a tasty sweet vinaigrette. Well this Chopped Salad Recipe with Red Wine Vinaigrette is pretty dang close and is just in time for me as I look to incorporate more veggies in my diet. I cook a lot which gives me more opportunities than most to eat and try different foods, but last year I did a lot of baking and just a lot of food that tastes super good, but isn’t the best for you.
When I got the chance to make this recipe I jumped on it simply because I love chopped salads but also because it’s helping me get back on the right path in the health and nutrition category. So, if you are looking for a tasty recipe that’s loaded with veggies, then look no further than this Chopped Salad Recipe with Red Wine Vinaigrette.
Chopped Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette
- ½ pound cooked and chilled ditalini pasta
- 2 heads of minced romaine lettuce
- 1 head of minced Boston bibb lettuce
- 3 peeled and shredded carrots
- 1 cup of small diced tomatoes
- ½ cup of peeled and small diced yellow onion
- ½ cup of seeded and small diced red bell peppers
- 1 cup of small diced celery
- 1 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup of sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of dry oregano
- ½ cup of red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup of red wine
- ¾ cup of olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
In a large bowl mix together the first 12 ingredients with salt and pepper until combined and keep cool.
Next, whisk together the garlic powder, sugar, oregano, red wine vinegar, red wine, olive oil, and salt and pepper until combined and dress the chopped salad with the desired amount of vinaigrette. Season the salad with salt and pepper and toss.
Serve in a bowl or in a container for on the go.
Optional Additional Toppings: small diced cucumber, bacon bits, diced cooked chicken