We took our favorite chicken wing and turned it into a creamy buffalo chicken turnover. We make our own buffalo sauce to control the heat so that the little ones can enjoy them too!
I have to warn you…these little crunchy turnovers are extremely addictive. Make sure you get enough ingredients to make several batches! I can’t to share these at my next family gathering. What more could you ask for in a snack? The creamy filling pairs perfectly with spicy buffalo sauce and jalapeños!
The first thing you need to know about making these bad boys is that the flavor is baked into the chicken for extra boost. We start by making our own sauce. You can totally use store bought if you want but we really love homemade because the kids can’t handle the heat of the full buffalo sauce but love the flavor.
Pour that sauce over your chicken and bake until it is cooked through. Shred it and remove a packed cup full with a good amount of sauce. Then start mixing!
Next up pastry….roll out the puff pastry dough to twice the size on a floured surface. Then cut it into nine equal squares.
Add a tablespoon or so of filling and some cheese to each square. Fold over and crimp with fork. Cut 2-3 slices in each turnover top to release air when baking. Brush the tops with egg wash and top with parmesan cheese and a thin slice of jalapeno.
Place on cookie sheet and place in oven at 400 for 20 mins. Or until golden brown. Serve when cooled!
Happy celebrating! I’m off to eat several of these before the rest of the crew finds out they exist!
- 2 (17 ounce) packages puff pastry, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup of Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus (regular hummus is fine too!)
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 large jalapenos, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese
- 1 egg for egg wash
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup buffalo sauce (homemade recipe attached if desired)
- 1-1 ½ cups chicken (we used 4 chicken tenders but 2 breasts would also work)
For the Buffalo Sauce:
- ¼ cup hot chipotle sauce
- ¼ cup hot jalapeno sauce
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste--this was kid friendly amount)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Homemade sauce: mix together buffalo sauce ingredients heat over medium heat until boiling. Pour over chicken. Bake chicken until cooked through. Shred chicken when cooled and return to sauce, measure out one packed cup of shredded chicken to add to filling.
- Make filling: warm the cream cheese in microwave for 30-40 seconds until it is easily stirred. Add hummus, bacon, jalapenos, and shredded chicken.
- Roll out your sheets of puff pastry to twice the size with a lightly floured rolling pin. Cut each sheet into 9 equal squares (3 high by 3 wide). Place on Silpat lined cookie sheet.
- Whisk the egg with a tablespoon of water. Brush the edges of each square with the egg wash. Add a tablespoon or so of filling and some cheese to each square. Fold over and crimp with fork. Cut 2-3 slices in each turnover top to release air when baking. Brush the tops with egg wash and top with parmesan cheese and a thin slice of jalapeno.
- Bake for 20 mins, or until golden brown. Serve when cooled.