It’s the time of year to make Holiday treats! These coconut macaroon Holiday wreaths are a healthy and fun way to celebrate the season. With so many tempting holiday treats available this time of year, these wreaths you can feel guilt-free enjoying. They are made with only five simple real ingredients. Not only do they look beautiful, they taste great and are perfect to bring to a Holiday party!
Benefits of Coconut
Coconut contains medium chain triglycerides known as MCTs where are know to digest slowly and can be a preferred source of energy for the body.
Shredded coconut contains over 2.5 grams protein and more than 4 grams of fiber in just one cup. Protein, fiber and healthy fats help you feel full longer. One cup of shredded coconut also contains almost 2 milligrams of zinc, a important mineral for your immune system this holiday season.
Look for unsweetened shredded coconut for baking recipes consuming excess unnecessary sugar.
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cups unsweetened flaked coconut *
- 3 egg whites
- .75 cups local honey or 100% real maple syrup
- .5 tsp sea salt
- Toppings: Holiday themed edible treats!
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl add the egg whites and use a handheld blender with whisk attachment to whisk egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Add the honey and salt and stir or whisk together with the egg whites.
- Add the shredded and flaked coconut and, and mix thoroughly.
- Use a non-stick donut pan and grease/oil it heavily.
- Spoon mix into donut molds, bake in oven for 12 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in donut pan and then gently pop out wreaths, let wreaths cool for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Notes: The same mix/batter can be used to make coconut macaroon mounds instead of wreaths.
- *Avoid very large flakes of the flaked coconut, chop if necessary. Large flakes cause the macaroons to break apart easily.
- If you do not have a donut pan, chill the mix/batter for 30 minutes and then form wreaths with your hands on a greased/lined baking sheet.