I grew up thinking of mason jars as simply the vessels for my mom’s homemade strawberry jelly and the u-pick peaches or garden tomato juice she’d spend all day canning. It wasn’t until I had my own home that I realized that these simple glass jars were such dependable storage workhorses in the kitchen.
Like a lot of people, I’ve transitioned away from using so many plastic containers and now look to glass jars for everything from stashing dinner leftovers to holding pantry goods like pasta, nuts, and dry beans in neat rows. I love their no frills, back-to-basics aesthetic and the way they showcase the natural beauty of food.
Short glass jars are also the perfect vehicles for on-the-go healthy snacks. Some jars (like these from Kilner) come with small containers that screw right into the lid to separate wet and dry foods. Pack up a whole week’s worth of healthy jarred snacks on Sunday, and you’ll never hit the vending machine again.
Here are 19 Healthy Jar Snacks to consider:
- Celery with peanut butter
- Pretzel thins with hummus
- Fruit salad with slivered almonds
- Yogurt with berries and granola
- Carrot and bell pepper strips with ranch dip
- Chia seed pudding with sliced almonds
- Stove-topped popcorn with pumpkin seeds
- Whole wheat crackers with almond butter
- Cottage cheese with berries
- Pitted dates with walnuts
- Dried seaweed with sunflower seeds
- Roasted chickpeas with tahini dressing
- Instant oats with dried fruit and cinnamon
- Pita chips with guacamole
- Apple slices with hazelnut spread
- Edamame with sea salt
- Cucumbers with spreadable cheese
- Greek yogurt with pomegranate seeds
- Grapes with cheese cubes