Homemade Hazelnut Milk Chai Lattes
- 1 cup dry hazelnuts, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 cups water
- 6 pitted dates, soaked in warm water for 5 minutes and drained
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1” piece of ginger, grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 12 cardamom seeds, crushed
- 3 bags of black tea
- Blend together soaked hazelnuts and water for 4 minutes. Strain into a nut bag or cheesecloth, squeezing out as much liquid into a bowl as possible. Discard or save dried hazelnut flour.
- Put hazelnut milk back into the blender and blend with dates, vanilla, ground cinnamon, and maple syrup. Blend for 2 minutes or until the dates disappear into the milk.
- In a small saucepan, bring hazelnut milk mixture, ginger, cinnamon stick and cardamom seeds to a low boil. Turn off the heat and add black tea and steep for 5-7 minutes.
- Strain into a fine mesh strainer and serve immediately. Optional garnish includes frothed milk, whipped cream, or a sprinkle of cinnamon.