As you are gathering your recipes and menus for this upcoming holiday season I implore you to take a nice long look at this Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel recipe.
If you’ve ever been to a few of this nation’s fine steak house establishments, you’ll almost always see some form of a sweet potato casserole. This recipe is sort of my combination of all of these wonderful sweet potato casseroles into 1 delicious side dish. The trick is to make the sweet potatoes slightly subtle in flavor and let the delicious pecan-marshmallow streusel do most of the heavy lifting. This is a pretty simple sweet potato recipe to make that packs a lot of punch with just a few extra steps like adding on the streusel and baking it to caramelize the top.
All in all, if you need a great side dish this holiday season then give this one a shot, it’ll be worth it!
- 3 peeled and roughly chopped sweet potatoes
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ¾ cup of light brown sugar
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ cup of flour
- 2 cups of pecans
- 2 cups of mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water add the sweet potatoes and cook for 15 to 18 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and them back to the pot or in a bowl along with 4 tablespoons of butter, ¼ cup of brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon and mash with a hand masher until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a 13x9 casserole dish, spread out until even and set aside.
- Next, add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter, ½ cup of brown sugar, flour and pecans to a food processor and process on low speed until the pecans are the size of rice.
- Add the pecan mixture to the top of the mashed sweet potatoes in the casserole dish and then top off with the marshmallows.
- Bake in the oven at 375° for 35 to 30 minutes or until the top is browned.