These Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Honey Garlic Sauce are the perfect appetizer or easy dinner recipe!
My oldest son is obsessed with shrimp. Regardless of our family’s dedication to raising kids that are not picky eaters he is in fact, what I would term a picky eater. Every night we get a complaint about what is being served for dinner, even though he ultimately does end up eating just about everything we serve him.
But the current winners in his diet are tacos…and shrimp. And yes you guessed it, I am planning to blow his mind this week and serve him a shrimp taco! But last week we decided to indulge his shrimp love with these bacon wrapped shrimp skewers.
The simplest way to make these are to buy the shrimp already shelled and deveined with their tails still on, but if you can’t find them that way it’s really a quick process to get them prepped.
Once you get the shrimp prepped and the pineapple sliced up they whip up in no time at all! With a bit of supervision the skewering process became a fun older kids task while we whipped up the sauce.
It’s still freezing here so grilling outside wasn’t quite what I was feeling up too with a new baby underfoot. So using our handy grill pan was the perfect solution to our wintertime woes! But these are also a perfect summer recipe and with a bit of applewood smoke…yum! Everyone loves them.
The sauce is my go to sticky honey garlic sauce and it didn’t disappoint here. Be sure to try this sauce on anything you can dream of but a good fried chicken sandwich or chicken wings are two of my favorites.
- For the Shrimp:
- 15 strips thin cut bacon, cut in half
- 30 extra-large shrimp, shelled with tails left on (about 1 pound)
- 1 large pineapple, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp butter
- .25 tsp kosher salt
- For Sauce:
- .33 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- .33 cups honey
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- .5 tsp grated ginger
- .5 tsp hoisin sauce (optional–don’t stress if you don’t have it)
- .5 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- .5 tbsp cornstarch
- For the Sauce: In a small pot whisk all ingredients together except soy sauce and cornstarch.
- Bring to a boil.
- Whisk soy sauce and cornstarch together until smooth and slowly whisk into sauce.
- Cook until thickened to desired consistency (5-10 minutes).
- For Assembly: Soak 10 bamboo skewers in water for about 20 minutes to keep them from catching fire.
- Wrap bacon around shrimp and add to skewer securing the bacon.
- Alternate pineapple between each bacon wrapped shrimp.
- Heat your grill pan to medium high and add butter.
- Add bacon wrapped shrimp skewers to the pan and baste with butter.
- Cook each side for 7 minutes or until shrimp is bright pink and bacon is crispy.
- Remove to a paper towel to absorb excess grease.
- Baste with Sticky Honey Garlic Sauce. Return to pan for 1-2 minutes if desired.
- Top with thyme and chives if desired. Serve immediately!