Is coffee a health food? More and more research suggests that coffee is in fact good for us!
Coffee Contains Essential Nutrients
Coffee contains B2, B3, B5, Manganese and Potassium as well as immune boosting antioxidants!
Coffee Can Boost Energy Levels And Mental Focus
Coffee contains caffeine, which can elevate our energy levels & can improve mental focus.
Coffee Curbs Depression
Many studies have shown a link between coffee drinks and lower rates of depression and suicide.
How Much Coffee Should You Drink In A Day?
Although coffee does provide health benefits, enjoy in moderation. Coffee is also a diuretic meaning that is promotes the production of urine, pulling water from the body, which can lead to dehydration. The FDA states that 400 milligrams of caffeine (that’s about four cups of coffee) per day is an upper limit for healthy adults. Exceeding this amount can be dangerous and result in insomnia, upset stomach, tremors and further dehydration.
How To Drink Coffee, The Healthy Way
Avoid high-fat, high-sugar coffee beverages, such as those you’d typically find at your local coffee shop. The best option is to consume black organic coffee to avoid pesticides. If you’re not quite ready to drink black coffee, try adding a splash of non-dairy milk and a sprinkling of spices such as cinnamon for a boost in flavor.
Iced Cinnamon Latte
- 12 oz water
- 4 tbsp ground coffee
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 oz unsweetened almond milk
- Heat 12-ounces of water on the stovetop or teakettle.
- Place 4 tablespoons of ground coffee and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon into Bodum French Press.
- Carefully pour hot water (not boiling) into French press.
- Stir brew with a plastic spoon.
- Place plunger unit on top of the pot; do not press down.
- Let coffee brew for at least 4 minutes.
- Hold the pot handle firmly and apply slight pressure on the plunger to lower slowly into the pot.
- Let the coffee cool slightly and then pour into 2 glass cups, dividing evenly.
- Carefully place glass cups with coffee into the freezer or fridge (be careful the glass may be hot!) to bring the coffee temperature down to room temp or cooler.
- When you are ready to drink, add ice and approximately 2 ounces of almond milk per serving.