Egg salad is so delicious and so incredibly easy to make, thanks to those handy-dandy hardboiled egg cookers.
When I think of egg salad 2 things really stand out in my mind. The first one is my good friend Adam who traveled a ton for work back in the day and always told me how much he loved getting an egg salad from local gas stations while driving across country. DUDE, how gross!! I would seriously get sick to my stomach when thinking of a gas station egg salad sandwich. Some things just have to be made by yourself, and egg salad is one of them.
The other thought reminds me of the movie, 40-Year-Old Virgin where the main character talks about his thrilling weekend of making egg salad but then by the time he had taken all the effort to prep “the accouterments,” he was no longer hungry. I know it seems silly, but it’s kind of an ongoing joke in our house that any time I am prepping up something I always tell my wife that I’m preparing the accouterments. Yeah, guess you have to be there 🙂
I tried to spice up this egg salad a bit with some homemade garlic toast, arugula, cucumbers, and capers, and man is it really REALLY good! If you love egg salad like I do then this Egg Salad Sandwich on Garlic Toast is for sure your go to recipe.
P.S. How cool was that egg grater?!
- 7 hard-boiled eggs, chilled, shelled and grated
- 4 small diced stalks of celery
- ½ peeled and small diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon of capers + more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh dill + more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 4 large slices of artisan bread, cut in half
- Arugula leaves for garnish
- Sliced cucumber for garnish
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Egg Salad: In a large bowl mix together the grated hard boiled eggs, celery, onion, capers, dill, mustard, mayo, and salt and pepper until combined and chill before serving.
- Toast: Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat and add in the garlic cloves and cook for :30 seconds.
- Add in the sliced bread and toast until browned on all sides. Be sure to watch close as you do not want the garlic to brown.
- Remove the bread and layer on as followed: arugula leaves, sliced cucumber, egg salad, caper garnish, dill garnish, chopped chives garnish and the other slice of toasted garlic bread. Repeat the process 3 more times or until the egg salad is gone.