Butternut Squash + Apple Bisque Recipe
1½ gallons of soup
- 1 peeled and roughly chopped butternut squash
- 1 medium diced sweet onion
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 4 peeled and cored medium diced Granny Smith apples – can substitute for a sweet apple
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup of apple cider
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Optional Garnishes: croutons, pepitas, pomegranate seeds, goat cheese, and fresh thyme
- In a large cast iron pot on high heat, melt the butter and then add in the onions, garlic, squash and apples and cook until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Next, sprinkle in the flour and mix until all of the vegetables are coated.
- Deglaze with the apple cider and then pour in the vegetable stock and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth and then return the pureed soup to the pot.
- Whisk in 1 cup of heavy cream and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls and add in any desired optional garnishes.