Vegetarian Chili Recipe with Sweet Potatoes and Lentils Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 small diced yellow onions
- 2 seeded small diced red bell peppers
- 2 seeded small diced jalapeños
- 3 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of lentils
- 3 28-ounce cans of diced or crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup of chili powder
- 3 tablespoons of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of dry oregano
- 2 15-ounce cans each chickpeas, black beans, and dark kidney beans
- 3 peeled and large diced sweet potatoes
- 2 large diced green zucchini
- 2 small hershey chocolate squares
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- For garnish: Sour cream, sliced green onions, shredded cheese and cilantro
- In a large 2-gallon pot add in the olive oil and onions and cook over medium heat until caramelized, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Next, add in the peppers and garlic and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- Add in the lentils, tomatoes, spices and herbs and cook over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Add the beans and sweet potatoes and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are slightly crunchy.
- Finish by adding in the zucchini, chocolate, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Serve with garnishes.