- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove cores from the tomatoes, removing as little of the red flesh as possible. Cut tomatoes in half crosswise. Over a small bowl, to reserve the liquid, gently squeeze to remove juice, use your fingers to remove seeds. Reserved tomato water is to be used in couscous recipe; if you are not making them together, use in a salad dressing or other recipe.
- Place tomato halves face up on cutting board, generously salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, scallions, basil, parsley, garlic, thyme, half the olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Fill the cavities and cover the tops of the tomatoes with the bread crumb mixture. Bake the tomatoes for 15 minutes, or until they are tender to the touch on the skin side.
- Sprinkle each with cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil, and bake for 30 seconds more to melt cheese. Serve hot or at room temperature.
*Inspired by Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking