Thousand Layer Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie Recipe Recipe
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, reserve 2 tablespoons for sprinkling (You can also use milk chocolate)
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt or table salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and both sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolks and mix until combined.
- With hand-held mixer off, add in vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer on low, add flour mixture to butter mixture; mix until just combined. Scrape down sides of bowl and mix to combine.
- Divide dough into three equal portions. Wrap each portion with plastic wrap and transfer to refrigerator; let chill for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, coarsely chop chocolate into thin shards. Set aside.
- Unwrap one portion of chilled dough and place on a lightly floured work surface.
- Sprinkle with half the chocolate and top of a second portion of chilled dough.
- Sprinkle with remaining chocolate and top with remaining portion of dough. Gently flatten with rolling pin.
- Prepare a 7-inch cast iron skillet with baking spray. Carefully move cookie down to skillet.
- Bake until cookie is set, 30-36 minutes, at 350 degrees F. Remove from oven and allow to cool just slightly for about 3 minutes.
- Add ice cream and sprinkle with remaining chopped chocolate.