Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup
- 2-3 lemongrass stalk or 3 tbsp.lemongrass paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 cups cubed chicken breasts or tenders
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans full fat coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons fish sauce (if you don’t like it fishy start with 1 tablespoon and adjust to taste)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-5 small fresh red chilies, minced (to desired level of spice)
- 1 thumb sized ginger root, peeled and grated
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Serve with: sticky rice, Thai iced tea, and spring rolls if desired
- Pound the lemongrass stalks with a heavy mallet or rolling pin to release aroma and flavor.
- Place chicken broth and lemongrass in large stock pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- In 12-inch saucepan over medium high heat, cook chicken and mushrooms thoroughly in butter and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked chicken and mushrooms, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, fresh chilies, ginger root and coriander powder to chicken broth.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Top with fresh basil and cilantro.
- Serve with sticky rice, Thai iced tea and spring rolls if desired!