- 2 ¼ tsp yeast
- ½ cup milk, warm
- 2 /12 cups AP flour
- ¼ cups sugar
- Pinch salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs at room temp
- 2 TB butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz jam
- Mix yeast, warm milk and a pinch of sugar together in a small bowl and allow to rest until foamy, about ten minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and spices.
- Add yeast mixture and start to mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add butter in small pieces.
- Continue to mix until the dough comes together. Turn out onto well-floured board and knead by hand until dough is smooth and elastic, for roughly five minutes.
- Place bowl in oiled bowl and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, one hour.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto a well-floured board. Roll out until 1/4 thick. (Dough may spring back. Allow it to rest.)
- Using a round cookie cutter 3 inches in diameter, cut out as many circles of dough as you can. Gather the scraps and roll out again. Cut out more circles. Should get 12 to 14.
- Place circles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with a clean towel and allow to rise again for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, follow package directions and heat oil to 365 in deep fat fryer. (This takes about 9-10 minutes so plan accordingly.)
- Add doughnuts in batches of four.
- Turn after 1 minute. Cook until both sides are golden brown, about 2 minutes total.
- Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
- When doughnuts are cool, poke a hole in one end with a skewer and move the skewer around inside the doughnut to create space.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a small tip with your favorite jam. (Smooth jams work best.)
- Pipe jam into hole in sufganiyot just until it starts to spill out. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve!