Spring Pea and Basil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
2 leeks, white and green parts only, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups frozen peas
- ½cup loosely packed basil leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon butter (optional)
- Optional toppings: 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt mixed with the juice of 1 lemon, freshly minced basil
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and leeks and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Add peas and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Transfer pea mixture to the blender in batches. Add basil and puree until smooth. Return soup to Dutch oven.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and add butter just before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of lemon/yogurt mixture and a sprinkle of fresh basil. Pair with Roasted Asparagus, Prosciutto and Fresh Mozzarella Sandwiches for a perfect spring meal.