Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- 3 cups of butter milk
- 8-10 finely grated cloves of garlic
- ½ peeled and finely grated shallot
- 4 each chicken thighs, drums and breasts
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- Strained and rendered bacon fat from 2 pounds of bacon
- Oil for frying
- Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
- Whisk together the buttermilk, garlic and shallot, in a large bowl and submerge the chicken parts in it. Refrigerate for 24-48 hours.
- To make the batter simply whisk together the flour, cornstarch, paprika, salt and pepper and set aside.
- To prepare the fryer add in the oil and rendered bacon fat and turn it to 350°.
- Next, remove the chicken and dredge each part in the flour coating it on all sides and place in the fryer. Note that there will only be enough room in the fryer for 4 parts at a time.
- Fry until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165° and it is golden brown on the outside.
- Remove the chicken from the fryer, strain and serve.