- Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet into a cold oven and preheat it to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, cheddar, and jalapeño.
- In a medium bowl, melt 1/4 cup of the butter.
- Add the honey, eggs, and buttermilk to the melted butter and whisk.
- Next, add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir until just incorporated. Using a sturdy, reliable oven mitt, carefully remove the hot cast-iron skillet from the oven and place it onto a trivet.
- Place the remaining tablespoon of butter into the skillet and swirl it or use a silicone brush to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan and place the pan into the oven for twenty to twenty-five minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge and turn the cornbread out onto a cutting board.
- Serve hot with beans and black eyed peas.
Click HERE for more about this recipe.