Slow Cooker Italian Beef with Homemade Giardiniera Recipe Recipe
For the Giardiniera:
- 2 cups of white vinegar
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- ¼ cup of Kosher salt
- 4 peeled and medium diced carrots
- 4 medium diced stalks of celery
- ½ head of cauliflower cut into small florettes
- 2 thinly sliced serrano peppers, piths removed
- ½ cup of thinly sliced green olives
- 1 ½ teaspoons of dry oregano
- 1 ½ cups of olive oil
For the Italian Beef:
- 64 ounces of beef stock
- 2 .7 ounce Italian dressing packets
- 1 cup of giardiniera
- ½ cup of mild sport peppers
- ½ cup of banana peppers
- 3 pounds of thinly sliced prime rib
- Kosher salt to taste
- Giardiniera: Add the vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a medium size pot and bring it to a boil.
- Once it is boiling add in the carrots, celery, cauliflower, and peppers and chill in the refrigerator for 6 hours.
- Once it is done chilling drain the vegetables and rinse with water. Transfer them to a jar and add in the olives, oregano and olive oil. Keep cool before serving.
- Beef: Add the beef, Italian dressing packets, giardiniera, sport peppers, banana peppers and salt to a slow cooker on high heat.
- Once the liquid is hot add in the prime rib and turn the heat to low and cook for at least 1 hour before serving on buns.
- Optional toppings: sautéed bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and provolone cheese.