Slow Cooker Beef Pho Recipe Recipe
- 1 large yellow onion, slice into ½” rounds
- 1 4-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1½ lb. beef bones (knuckle)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 6 cups water
- 7 tbs. fish sauce or to taste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. whole coriander
- 3 whole star anise
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cardamom pod
- 16-oz. Dried flat rice noodles, cook according to the instruction on packaging
- ½ lb. thinly sliced flank, london broil, sirloin
- 10-oz beef meatballs, cut into half
- Lime, cut into wedges
- Fresh herbs: cilantro. Basil, mint
- Jalapeno, sliced
- Hoisin sauce
- Heat the broiler to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange the onion slices and ginger on the baking sheet and broil until charred, about 10 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Bring a large pot with water to boil over high heat. Add the beef bones and boil for 10 minutes. Discard water and rinse bones briefly. Add to slow cooker.
- Heat a frying pan on medium-low heat and add the spices. Toast until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- When you have onion, beef bones, and spice in slow cooker; add beef broth and water. Cover and set to cook on low for 8 hours. Taste and season with fish sauce and sugar when done.
- When you’re ready to eat, prep the rest of the ingredients for the Pho bowls.
- Distribute the noodles, beef balls, and thin steak slices evenly amongst the bowls. Ladle the stock into each bowl. The hot stock should cook the thinly sliced steak. Serve with pho condiments.