Pancetta & Veggie Egg Strata Breakfast Recipe with Roasted Onions and Butternut Squash
- 1 loaf of brioche bread cut into 1” cubes
- 5 ounces of small diced pancetta
- 1 peeled and julienne yellow onion
- 1 cup of medium diced butternut squash
- 1 cup each of sliced cremini and button mushrooms
- 3 cups of packed baby spinach
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups of shredded gruyere cheese
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 6 to 8 slices of mozzarella cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Spread out the brioche on a ½ cookie sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes or until toasted on all sides. Set aside.
- Next, add a large pan to a burner over medium heat and cook the pancetta until browned.
- Once cooked, set the pancetta aside and add the onions to the pan and caramelize, about 20 minutes.
- Once browned add in the squash and mushrooms and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat. Remove from the burner.
- Add the toasted brioche to the pan along with baby spinach, salt and pepper and mix. Transfer the mixture to a deep casserole pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, gruyere cheese and salt and pepper until combined. Pour the mixture overtop of the toasted brioche and vegetables and mix in.
- Spread out the mozzarella slices over top and evenly sprinkle on the cooked pancetta.
- Wrap the pan in foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for a further 15 minutes or until browned and firm in the center.
- Let cook for 3 to 5 minutes before serving.