Orecchiette with Shrimp & Peas Recipe
- 1 ½ lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 16 oz. Orecchiette pasta (penne pasta will work well too)
- 1/3 cup shallots, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 ½ cups peas, thawed
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and lemon zest. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta following package instructions. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water when you drain the pasta.
- Remove shrimp from fridge and season with salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the other 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic. Cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until the shrimp have turned pink. About 4 minutes.
- Add the peas, basil, and the pasta plus ¼ cup of the pasta water. Add more pasta water if you feel it needs to be more juicy. Cook over medium heat until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.