Mushroom, Sausage & Cheddar Breakfast Strata
- 1 lb. pork breakfast sausage
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 12 slices crusty Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown sausage in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, breaking into small pieces. Drain off any fat and transfer sausage to a plate and set aside.
- Pour olive oil into skillet over medium heat and add onions, mushrooms and peppers. Sautee, stirring occasionally until peppers and onions are soft and mushrooms are beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs in a medium bowl. Add milk, mustard, salt and pepper and beat to blend. Set bowl aside.
- In another large bowl, combine bread cubes, sausage and mushroom/pepper mixture. Pour in egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 9x13 inch casserole. Dot top with butter and sprinkle cheddar evenly over top. Cover casserole and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove strata from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove lid and bake strata in preheated oven for 1 hour until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.