- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chicken schmaltz or vegetable oil
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1/2 cup seltzer, club soda or sparkling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir with a fork to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours.
- Form batter into balls about the size of a golf ball - moisten hands slightly to prevent sticking.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- Add the matzo balls to the boiling water. Cover and turn heat down to medium. Simmer matzo balls, covered, for thirty minutes.
- Remove matzo balls from water with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Place cooked matzo balls in chicken soup and heat through prior to serving.