Leftover Christmas Ham and Bean Soup Recipe
1 gallon of soup
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 peeled and small diced yellow onion
- 5 peeled and medium diced carrots
- 5 medium diced stalks of celery
- 1 peeled and medium diced parsnip
- 2 peeled and medium diced turnips
- 1 pound of preferred bean blend soaked in water overnight
- 4 cups of medium diced leftover ham
- 8 cups of chicken stock
- 2 peeled and medium diced potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Optional Garnishes: fresh rosemary, thyme, croutons or parmesan cheese
- In a large pot on high heat add in the olive oil and then add in the onions, carrots, celery, parsnip and turnips to lightly brown, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Next, add in the soaked bean blend, water drained, the ham and chicken stock. Stir, cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes and herbs, stir, cover and simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Finish by adjusting the seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve with optional garnishes: fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, croutons or shredded Parmesan cheese.