Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe
For the Toppings:
- 2 thickly sliced yellow onions
- ½ cup of balsamic vinegar
- 4 pepper jack cheese slices
- 4 Colby Jack cheese slices
- 1 cup of sliced dill pickles
- 12 strips of crisp cooked bacon
For the Sloppy Joes:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 seeded and small diced red bell pepper
- 1 seeded and small diced green bell pepper
- 4 cloves of finely minced garlic
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Toasted pretzel and/or brioche buns
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Place the sliced onions on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and roast the onions in the oven for a total of 30 minutes.
- Every 5 to 7 minutes brush the onions with the balsamic vinegar. Set aside once tender and browned.
- In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat with olive oil add in the peppers and garlic and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the ground beef and cook until it is completely cooked through. All of the pink should be gone.
- Add in the ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce and mix until it is completely combined. You may need to add a little water if it is too thick. Keep warm.
- Serve the sloppy joe’s on your desired toasted pretzel or brioche bun and top off with different toppings.