For the Pretzels:
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°.
- In a standing mixer bowl, add in the water, sugar, and sprinkle on the yeast and let it sit for 5 minutes or until it begins to foam.
- Add the hook attachment and pour in the butter, salt and flour and knead the dough on high for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil into a large bowl and place in the dough. Cover with a towel and keep and rest until it doubles in size, about an hour
- Before it is time to form the dough, bring 1 cup of baking soda and 1 gallon of water to a boil in a large pot.
- To form the dough, take a small piece and roll it out until it is an 18” to 24” long rope. Cut into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Turn down the boiling water to a simmer and cook each pretzel dough 1 at a time for :30 each and then place back on the Silpat.
- Once all of the pretzels have been cooked in the baking soda solution, brush the tops with the egg wash and season heavily with Kosher salt.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
For the Beer Cheese Dipping Sauce:
- In a medium size sauce pot on medium heat melt together the butter and flour to form a roux.
- Next, add in the milk and beer and whisk until it becomes very thick. Whisk in the cheeses until it is smooth and season with salt and paprika. Keep warm.