- Combine all dry ingredients. Add milk and honey and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Add an additional ¼ - ½ cup flour to bowl and gently form into a ball while kneading flour into dough until it is no longer sticky to the touch.
- Split in two pieces, brush with olive oil and top with a sprinkle of oats.
- Sprinkle the bottom of cast iron dutch oven with cornmeal lightly. Add bread and place lid on.
- Fire: You want a fire that is burned down. Scrape out a center hole for the dutch oven and keep just a few coals in the center. Place in dutch oven over these and add 4 coals on top of lid of dutch oven. You are creating an all around heat here so make sure your coals on the outside of the oven are right around the dutch oven.
- Bake until cooked through, about 25-40 minutes depending on fire heat. Around 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
- Allow to cool slightly (5-10 minutes) before serving.
*Inspired by Woman's Day Irish Brown Bread