Homemade Angel Food Cake Trifle Recipe with Fresh Berries Recipe
- 14 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups of cake flour
- 3 cups of sugar
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1½ quarts of heavy whipping cream
- 2 pints of sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 pints of blueberries
- 2 pints of raspberries
- 2 pints of blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- beat egg whites, cream of tartar to stiff peaks in a standing mixer with the whisk attachment on high speed.
- Next, slowly add 1 cup of sugar until combined and the whip on high speed until stiff peaks are formed.
- In a bowl sift together the flour and 1 cup of sugar and then fold that mixture in with the whipped egg whites along with 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- Pour the batter into an angel food cake pan and run a knife through to make sure there are no air pockets.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned and softly firm.
- Invert the pan and let cool for 1 hour, then use a knife to scrape the outside of the pan so that the cake releases. Cut into medium size chunks or thinly slice the cake ring into 3 pieces. Set aside.
- Whip the heavy cream, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and remaining sugar into a standing mixer on high speed with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks are formed.
- Layer the trifle with cake, whipped cream and fresh berries.
- Serve cold!