Holiday Panettone Recipe with Currants and Raisins Recipe
1 loaf of panettone
- ½ cup of currants
- ½ cup of raisins
- 1 cup of triple-sec
- 1 ½ packets of yeast
- 1 ½ cups of water heated to 110° to 115°
- 1 ½ cups of whole milk heated to 110° to 115°
- 1 ½ cups of sugar + 1 tablespoon
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup of melted butter
- 5 cups of all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Add the currants and raisins to a bowl and submerge them in the triple sec. Set aside.
- Next, sprinkle the yeast into a bowl with the warm water and milk and whisk in 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Let sit for 5 to 7 minutes or until it becomes very foamy.
- Next, whisk in the rest of the sugar, 1 egg, salt, vanilla, lemon zest and melted butter until combined and transfer it to a standing mixer with the hook attachment.
- Slowly pour in the flour and mix on low speed until combined and kneed for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the bowl to a proofer and proof on 80° for 1 hour. Be sure to fill the insert with water.
- Drain the currants and raisins and fold them in the dough until it’s completely folded in. Put the dough into a prepared 4” tall by 9” cake pan and let rise in the proofer for 30 minutes.
- Brush the top of the bread with the egg white and sprinkle on the 1 tablespoon of sugar and bake at 350° for 60 to 70 minutes or until browned on top and the inside is cooked.