- In a standing mixer, cream butter and sugar together for 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and beat for 1 minute. Add the cherries and chocolate, and combine on low speed. In a separate bowl combine flour and salt, then slowly mix into the sugar mixture.
- Transfer dough in 2 or 3 parts large sheets of wax paper or parchment paper. The dough should be a bit crumbly, gently work it together and then form into a circle log, rolling inside the wax paper as necessary. Neaten the ends as best as you can and place the wax-paper-wrapped dough in the freezer for 10 minutes, or the fridge overnight.
- Heat oven to 350° on a low bake setting (or 325° if you don’t have a low bake option). Remove the log from the freezer, discard the paper and using a sharp knife, slice into ¼-inch-thick rounds (or thicker if you prefer). Space the cookies about 1-inch apart on the baking sheets and freeze again for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and bake for about 10-12 minutes. The cookies should not brown but remain pale with just a hint of browning around the edges. Move from cookie sheet to wire cooling rack as soon as they’ve hardened a bit, about 5 minutes.
Optional: Feel free to dip in melted dark chocolate, sprinkle with powdered sugar, or enjoy plain with tea or coffee.