Classic Lasagna Recipe Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ small dice yellow onion
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 4 ounces of loose mild Italian sausage
- 4 ounces of ground beef
- 6 cups of canned diced tomatoes and juice
- 1 teaspoon of dry oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons of dry basil
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 32 ounces of whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups of shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 20 par-boiled lasagna noodles
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley and basil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a medium size pot over medium heat add in the olive oil and lightly brown the onions and garlic.
- Once brown add in the sausage and beef and cook until there is no pink, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Next, add in the tomatoes, oregano and basil and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Thicken the tomato sauce with tomato paste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. keep warm.
- In a large bowl whisk 1 egg and then completely mix together the ricotta, parmesan, chopped fresh basil, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Evenly layer a 13x9 casserole dish as followed: sauce, 4 noodles, ricotta cheese mixture, sauce, mozzarella and then repeat 3 more times finish with noodles, sauce and cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown on top.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and basil. Serve hot.