Cardamom Vanilla Bean Baklava Recipe
For the Baklava:
- 1 package phyllo dough, fully thawed
- 2 sticks of butter melted
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 cups mixed nuts
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease 9x13 dish with butter.
- Add nuts and cinnamon to food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Measure Phyllo dough to pan and cut to size. Lay two sheets of phyllo dough on bottom of pan.
- Brush with butter. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of nuts across the pan. Top with 2 sheets of phyllo dough. Repeat until only 6 sheets remain. Brush top layer with butter.
- Use a sharp knife to slice into 4 rows and cut rows into triangles. If using a non stick pan use sharp knife on top and a plastic knife for the bottom cuts.
- Bake for 50 minutes until golden and crisp.
- While baking make sauce:
- Boil water and sugar until reduced by half.
- Add honey, vanilla bean paste, cardamom and lemon zest. Heat for 1 minute and set aside.
- Remove baklava from oven and while still hot pour sauce over the baklava.
- Allow to fully cool before serving.