Butternut Squash Winter Harvest Grain Bowl with Curry Sauce
For the Salad:
- 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cut into ½" cubes
- 2-3 large beets, peeled and cut into ¼” cubes
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole head garlic
- 1 ½ pounds Tuscan kale (about 2 large bunches), stemmed, leaves thinly sliced
- Fresh lemon
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups farro
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1 large pomegranate)
For the Yumm Sauce:
- ½ cup Greek-style plain full or low-fat yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1-2 teaspoons of sweet chili sauce
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Peel and cube butternut squash and lay out on a foil lined cookie sheet.
- Toss together squash, 2 tsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
- Repeat with beets (I like to put them on a separate cookie sheet so I can remove if they finish faster).
- Place whole head of garlic on a sheet of aluminum foil, drizzle with 1 tsp. oil, wrap securely in foil and place on baking sheet with squash.
- Roast, stirring squash and beets occasionally after the first 15 minutes, until squash is golden and tender and garlic is tender, 35–40 minutes. Garlic may require more time than squash.
- While squash is roasting make yum sauce by blending all ingredients together.
- Remove garlic and squash from oven and set aside to cool.
- Cut off the top of the garlic head and squeeze all of the softened garlic into a medium bowl.
- Toss grains into a saute pan with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, add farro, quinoa, and roasted squash to pan. Cook until grains are warm and toasty. Add kale.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes until kale begins to wilt.
- Top with parmesan, almonds, pomegranate seeds and yumm sauce.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, and sprinkle with toppings.