Butternut Squash Sage Risotto with Bacon
- ½ stick butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed in ½ inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced sage leaves plus extra to top with
- ½ cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 slices bacon crumbled
- ¼ cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Start by sauteing onions in a olive oil and butter til they are translucent.
- Add the butternut squash, sage and spices and cook over medium heat until they are softened and a fork easily pierces them.
- Add in the rice and toss to coat with butter and squash. Add the wine and cook for 2 mins.
- Add 1 cup stock to the rice. Stir and simmer until absorbed, about 5-10 minutes. Continue adding stock in one cup at a time until the mixture seems dry and then add the next cup of stock.
- Once the risotto cooks down fully stir in the heavy cream to finish and remove from heat. Top with bacon, cheese and more sage.
- Serve with veggies, bread and more white wine.