I still have nightmares of my mom opening that can of cranberry sauce and then sort of flopping it out onto a plate to watch it grossly jiggle for the next minute or so. Even back then I would think that there has to be a better way to go about this. It may have taken about 20 minutes but I finally took matters into my own hands and made my own Homemade Cranberry Sauce.
Since I made my first one and figured out a good base, I’ve made several variations of the recipe. I’ve used different nuts, different dried fruits, and have changed up some of the spices and aromatics. It doesn’t matter what I do, it’s still light years better than that weird canned stuff. In fact, it’s extremely delicious when spooned onto some fresh roasted turkey! If you’re anything like me and have had enough of that canned mess, change things up and make this extremely easy recipe for Homemade Cranberry Sauce.
- 3 cups of water
- 3 cups of sugar
- 9 cups of fresh cranberries
- 2 cups of chopped pecans
- 1 cup of currants
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- In a large pot add in the water and sugar and bring them to a boil.
- Once boiling add in the cranberries and cook over low heat until they are completely broken down and the mixture has become very thick, about 20-30 minutes.
- Next, add in the rest of the ingredients and stir until combined.
- Serve cool.